Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A Break from the Hectic

What I’ve always liked about wine and cheese is their surefire ability to slow me down in the midst of a hectic time. Unlike so many other things in our fast-paced, overly scheduled lives, making great wines and cheeses cannot be hurried.

And likewise, enjoying a glass of wine and a knob of cheese, preferably with good friends, is a simple way to call “time out” on a busy day.

That’s exactly what I did recently when I treated myself to a simple lunch of wine, cheese and fresh bread. What I thought would be a short break in the day turned into something special when a couple of friends dropped by unannounced. The three of us caught up with each other and talked about nothing in particular. Like many meals that turn out great, this one was simple, not highly planned, and focused on friendships as much, if not more than, what was on our plates.

About the wine and cheese: I’m usually a bit of a blank canvas when I walk into a wine or cheese store, and this time was no different. Jacques offered a gewürztraminer from South Africa – Robertson Winery’s 2007 Special Late Harvest – with loads of sugar and lots of honeysuckle and floral aromas. It’s fun to taste wines made with varietals grown outside their usual region, and this South African gewürztraminer interested me.

Wine in hand, I headed up to see Kris at the Public Market House. After telling her about the wine, she thought a bit, and recommended a Spanish goat’s milk cheese called Nevat. This creamy, soft-ripened cheese has a bloomy white rind that reminded me of brie. But the texture is much creamier and the flavors much stronger – nice saltiness, with a tangy finish and lots of pungent aroma.

Life can be full of simple, unplanned pleasures, and discovering new tastes and connecting with friends are two of the best. I wonder why it’s so easy to rush through life looking for the big reward, when all it takes is a bottle of wine, a little cheese, and someone to share them with? (Don’t forget the corkscrew!)


-- Thom Householder

Wine: Gewürztraminer - Robertson Winery 2007 Special Late Harvest - South Africa
Cheese: Nevat – Goat’s Milk - Spain

No comments: