Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A First Wine & Cheese Pairing

When Margo asked me to be a part of the wine and cheese writing project, my first instinct was, “but I don’t know anything about wine and cheese!” After many assurances that I didn’t need to be an expert on the topic, I really started to look forward to this as a type of challenge ~ and I feel really fortunate for the experience. This project was to me: a wonderful new experience during the hustle and bustle of the holidays, a reminder of the importance of getting together with friends and enjoying the finer things, and a great writing challenge for a “numbers guy”.

In the hectic few days before Christmas, I found myself scurrying through Portland in the middle of one of our early snow storms. I was doing a little last minute shopping, and picking up the supplies for the writing project. I started at the Old Port Wine Merchant where Jacques handed me a beautiful bottle of Chardonnay. It was a 2006 bottle of Cartlidge & Browne, from California. At the time I had no idea how much I would enjoy sharing that bottle with friends. Next, I made my way through the snow to Kris Horton Specialty Foods, where Kris selected a piece of Comte cheese to match the wine. It was a seasonal cheese from France, that I was told came from the high mountains and was a product of the spring milking. Being completely inexperienced with wine and cheese matching, I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the wine, and selecting the cheese to match. I have to say the customer service and the expertise at both stores was top notch!

When the holidays passed and I finally had a chance to sit down with good friends and enjoy the combination, we marveled at how well the two complemented each other. All together, this was a wonderful experience, for which I want to thank Margo, Jacques, and Kris. I got to enjoy my first wine/cheese pairing, was introduced to two truly fabulous shops in Portland, and had the opportunity to get together with friends that I don’t see enough of. What could be better?


Timothy S. Keene

Wine: Cartlidge & Browne, California
Cheese: Comte, France

No comments: